Whenever we search for eco-friendly beauty brands in Thailand, we’re flooded with the usual herbal soap bars or rice scrubs. Of course that’s all great stuff, but what about those of us who want products with actual functions and results too? Or makeup that’s actually, well, makeup? Here, we’ve gathered some of the beauty brands available in Bangkok that give us that much-needed balance between effective beauty care and sustainable production. Save that weird herbal soap bar for your grandma or a tourist friend — these are the latest and greatest of clean beauty products that will take good care of you and the planet.
[Hero and Feature image credit: Coco & Eve.]
- Every Earth goddess knows about Abyssian’s hair products. Based off the beautifying ingredients from Ethiopia, they use Abyssinian Kale Oil as their not-so-secret weapon. This oil has all the incredible nourishing properties found in the more well-known Argan oil, except Abyssinian oil is much lighter and won’t weigh your hair down. That’s definitely good news for the Bangkokian whose needs are all about more volume and less frizz. Yet not only is this magical oil uniquely great for your hair, it also serves the planet a lot better than other oils. Abyssinian crops have incredible water retention properties which means they need little water to grow. You save a lot of energy and money this way, and local farming communities are also able to harvest and sell even throughout the dry season. Oh, and another thing: the people at Abyssian also plant a tree for every product they sell. There’s officially no reason not to buy Abyssian.
- Our favourites: Antipollution Protein Treatment; Superfood Recovery Shampoo; Original Oil, and Silk Milk.
- Available at Abyssian and Sephora. Locations: G Floor, Emquartier, M Floor, 639 Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110 (10am-10pm). Level 1, ICONSIAM, 229 Choaren Nakhorn Road, Bangkok, 10600 (10am-10pm). Level 2, Central Embassy, Rama I Road, Bangkok, 10330 (10am-9pm).
Coco and Eve
- How do you make a hugely successful beauty brand with just one product? Multi-award winning and featured in an endless list of magazines, Coco & Eve clearly know the answer. Their ‘Like A Virgin’ Coconut Oil and Fig Hair Mask is their only product, so you know it has to be a pretty good one. The hair mask is known to transform your hair into a healthy, shiny, voluminous mane in just 10 minutes. It’s got a chemical-free formula, no sulfates and parabens, and it smells like a holiday in Bali. Launched from the beautiful Indonesian beaches, Coco & Eve are dedicated to minimising their impact on the environment. They’re cruelty-free and PETA-compliant. You even get a tangle tamer brush to ensure the mask is distributed to every single strand of hair.
- Our favourites: Is this a trick question?
- Available at Coco & Eve and Sephora.
- Not 98% natural. No, not even 99% natural. Herbivore pride themselves for being completely 100% ‘Truly Natural’. Dedicated to their name and tag line, Herbivore is a true rare breed in the skincare world today because they don’t contain a single synthetic ingredient. They tour the world to find the Earth’s best raw natural resources, and use only what is absolutely essential and active. Every single ingredient in their products is there for a specific therapeutic reason. Their latest products are these three main facial oils which can be used by all skin types, only depending on what the skin concern is. The oils attend to different skin “moods”. For example, Lapis is good for “angry” skin because its unique blue oil is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Orchid, for “happy” skin, boosts glow and preserves youth and hydration. All their products have a gorgeous, calming natural smell which makes them a great little daily indulgence.
- Our favourites: The Lapis Balancing Face Oil.
- Available at Herbivore and Sephora.
We all know this New York makeup for its gorgeous glitter makeup and colourful beauty products, but did you know that Tarte is also dedicated to using clean ingredients? Their products are all naturally-derived, and powered by stuff like Amazonian Clay and marine plant extracts. Good for the planet and good for you skin, too.
Our favourites: Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15; Amazonian Clay Eye Shadow Palette, and Double Take Eyeliner (limited edition).
- Hailing from Australia, a country that’s famous for their sustainable and healthy lifestyles, Dr Roebuck’s is dedicated to making clean and results-driven skincare. They’re committed to sourcing locally and use highly beneficial ingredients that sound like they can only have come from Down Under — like Kakadu Plum and Caviar Lime. Their ingredients may sound pretty outrageous, but the brand comes from a real dermatological background and produced nearly 2000 papers to prove and explain their effectiveness. The ingredients list itself is pretty short though, and that’s because they only use what’s absolutely essential and 100% safe. One product contains only 13 ingredients — seven of which are fully active. Under a simple brand catchphrase, “No Worries”, Dr Roebucks means no fear from harsh chemicals because their line is clean, transparent, and adaptable. Yes, their products can actually be adapted and made-to-order.
- Our favourites: ‘No Worries’ moisturiser, ‘Lifesaver’ brightening toner, ‘Tassie’ anti-pollution serum.
- Available at Dr Roebucks and soon to be launched at Sephora.
Locally sourced and produced, Panya is born-and-bred Thai beauty product. This brand understands that our country is home to some of the best quality crops and beautifying natural ingredients, so why let this go to waste? The simple, no-frills production and short supply chain mean that close attention is paid to everything that goes in their bottles. No unnecessary energy or chemicals are involved, and all ingredients are ethically farmed.
Our favourites: Panya Coffee Detox Shower Gel (with Vitamin E); Panya Moringa Face Brightening Serum
Only available at Panya.
- Like a green superfood smoothie for your hair, Briogeo‘s hair products are packed with nutrients and smell naturally delicious. Their Cleansing products are even shaped like smoothie bottles. These shampoos and conditioners are formulated without a trace of sulfates, parabens, silicones, or synthetic dyes. Instead, there’s avocado oil, quinoa extract (which acts like a protective barrier against environmental stresses), shea butter, aloe vera, kale, spinach, apple, and matcha. See? Just like a green smoothie. They also make fun yet advanced hair masks for deep conditioning at home. What do we mean by ‘advanced’? The masks effectively reverse damage with “micro-encapsulated argan oil technology”, which uses positively charged algae shells to attract the damaged particles of your hair and repair them. They also contain algae extract and biotin, which are amazing for growing and strengthening hair. With an unrivalled ingredients list, Briogeo was developed with visible results in mind and a love for the planet at heart.
- Our favourites: All of the Cleansing collection and the Deep Conditioning hair cap system.