Brace yourselves – the tumble and rumble of Bangkok’s noisy streets and crowded shopping malls is about to get even louder. Soon, these streets and malls will become giant runways, paving the way for the city’s freshest new looks, designer-clad models, and glitziest parties. You guessed it: Bangkok International Fashion Week (BIFW) is upon us.
On 28 March, the capital’s four-day fashion extravaganza will begin its high-energy celebration of our most talented designers – from big name players to fresh young creatives. Now in its 12th year, BIFW is supported by One Siam, shopping’s holy trinity of Siam Paragon, Siam Centre, and Siam Discovery. As well as being the home for the biggest fashion brands, these three fashion behemoths are also spearheads for emerging designers yet to be discovered. Next week, they’re going to be our trusted gateway to see some of the exciting work from the best homegrown talent.
So, what’s on show? With 15 designers on the setlist, an exclusive exhibition for new talent, and even a new “see now buy now” experience for you to immediately shop runway looks, there’ll be enough “fashunnn” to go round for everyone.
The long weekend will kick off with an exclusive pairing of Self Portrait, a UK-based label by Han Chong, with Vatanika, Bangkok’s favourite Kardashian-spirited designer. We’re also seriously looking forward to Issue‘s special 20th anniversary collection which, after what we saw at their launch party last month, should be a wild ride of colour and fun.
Fear not, gents: there’s fashion fun for you too. In fact, there’s going to be a whole day dedicated just to menswear. 29 March is for the ‘Boys of Bangkok’, with four menswear labels taking over the runways.
The following day will see an eclectic mix of Thai designer brands, curated by Absolute Siam, which will continue to get us even more intimate with the best of our capital’s creative talents. Finally, three of the country’s most iconic designers will be seeing off the shows, finishing with the bang in Bangkok Fashion Week.
The runway shows aren’t the only thing going on next weekend. Be sure to head to the Visionary Stage Atrium on the first floor of Siam Centre to check out the exhibition devoted exclusively to New-Gen designers showing off their groundbreaking creations. Meanwhile, a ‘We Wear Thai Designer’ campaign will be running in parallel to the week’s shows as a showcase of the stylish wonders that we can find right here in our city. Oh, and last but not least: there’ll be parties aplenty.
This year’s BIFW is going to be a whirl and twirl for everyone. To get you in the mood, take a sneak peek at which designers are showing what next weekend. Oh, and to help you keep track of what’s on and when, there are also some handy visual guides to put into your diaries.
Day 1: Thursday 28 March 2019
19.00 – After the Lovers by Self Portrait x Vatanika
20.30 – Issue
Day 2: Friday 29 March 2019
Day 3: Saturday 30 March 2019
17.30 – Sor-Kor-Bor Warship by Prapakas
20.30 – Milin Front Row
Day 4: Sunday 31 March 2019
17.30 – Nagara
19.00 – Pichita
20.30 – Tube Gallery
- These designers will be showing on the Grand Runway at the Parc Paragon. Here’s a handy visual guide to save into your phones:
- Also not to miss: a “See Now Buy Now” pop-up shop will appear at the end of each show in the Hall of Fame of Siam Paragon’s M Floor. Fashion fans can shop the looks right after they see them on the runway.
The exclusive exhibition for the best of Bangkok’s emerging young talent will be held in the Visionary Stage Atrium, 1F Siam Centre. The New-Gen designers include those from:
- 1. Rajamangala University of Technology Srivijaya Songkhla with F.O.S (Fashion of the South)
- 2. Chulalongkorn University with Fash-Lab Chula
- 3. Mahasarakham University with C.A.F @ MSU Creative Art Fashion
- 4. Kasetsart University and “The League of Gentlemen” by Textile Science and Technology students from Faculty of Agro Industry
- 5. Chanapatana International Design Institute and CIDI Chanapatana Fashion Show
- 6. Ragamangala University of Technology Phra Nakhon and Nanloeng by Faculty of Industrial textile and Fashion Design
- 7. Bangkok University with Ultimate Source XII: Labyrinth by Fashion Design students from Faculty of Fine and Applied Arts
- 8. Collaborative Fashion Innovation Project Fash by CCI (College of Creative Industry) Srinakarinwirot University
There are even more fabulous shows being held in Siam Centre:
Head to ALAND, the lifestyle store and concept space on M Floor for an eclectic spectacle of contemporary designs.
Last but definitely not least, don’t miss the incredible creations by Kanapot Aunsorn, the hottest young fashion designer and winner of the 2012 ‘The Designer Season 2’ competition. His signature nostalgic military styles will be on show in a collection titled ‘Asymmetry India’.
There’s a heck of a lot to see, so here’s another visual guide to save:
Gather your energy (and your best outfits), it’s going to be a busy week!