The MMMs Awards 2021
Best Char Siu
Your saunter down, down, down to Mott 32 is a path paved with delicious anticipation. It might be the pre-ordered applewood-roasted Peking duck you’re salivating for. Or, the Barbecue Puma Iberico Pork, succulent, smothered and shiny with a signature Yellow Mountain honey glaze over top. Trust — you’ll want seconds.
- Mott 32, Standard Chartered Bank Building, 4-4A Des Voeux Rd Central, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2885 8688
It’s all in its name: Good BBQ serves, well, good barbecue. Or, in Cantonese, good siu mei, courtesy of chef Sandy Keung who had a previous life as a fund manager and CFO before diving head (and hands!) first into roasted meats. To date, Good BBQ remains the only professional siu mei shop that uses the sous vide technique on a commercial scale. No MSG, too!
- Good BBQ, (various locations), Yook Ming House, 5 Li Yuen St E, Central, Hong Kong, +852 9852 1062
If chef Dai Lung's 'Hong Kong God of Cookery' is not a credential good enough for you, then move along. But beyond inspiring Stephen Chow movies, CHOP CHOP is a Hong Kong institution; its signature char siu roasted in five separate batches a day to preserve chef Dai's meticulous consume-in-two-hours directives.
- Chop Chop, F, Shop 3 G, 18 Wang On Rd, North Point, Hong Kong, +852 3618 7718
The words 'Cantonese Classics' are inextricable to Yung Kee Restaurant, a multi-generational eatery with origins as a humble dai pai dong to, now, a multi-storey destination on Wellington Street. You go to Yung Kee for their roast goose, but you also go for the char siu — a tender, nostalgic bite steeped in honeyed glaze, yes, but also history. 85 years of it.
- Yung Kee, Yung Kee Building, Wellington St, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2522 1624
You'd expect nothing less than roast fit for royalty from Tai Hing, christened 'King of the Roast'. But, luckily for us mere mortals, it's not nobility Tai Hing roasts for with their 200+ strong franchise across Hong Kong, Mainland China, Macau and Taiwan. It's classic Cantonese comforts by the people, for the people. Char siu for every meal of the week.
- Tai Hing, (various locations), 12-13 Jubilee St, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2567 2200
WOW Charsiu serves up their WOW-inducing char siu in eco-friendly cylindrical containers; a far cry from the greasy white styrofoam boxes our favourite Cantonese classics so often come in. Also WOW-inducing: their pomelo-flavoured char siu, an inspired take on the traditional honey-glazed version (which is also available!).
- WOW Charsiu, (various locations), G/F, 14 Hillier Street, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, +852 9856 6264