The MMMs Awards 2021
Best Pizza: Interval
From the people that brought you Cut Sando Bar, INTERVAL is, defiantly, not a pizzeria. Instead, it’s an all-day café that serves up excellent sourdough pizzas — alongside glasses of wine, swirls upon swirls of pasta and an urban farm at their Cyberport location. So you know those herbs sitting atop melted cheese are fresh from the stem.
- Interval, (various locations), Cyberport, Shop 207, Level 2, Arcade, 100 Cyberport Rd, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong, +852 2380 3498
Best Burger: Honbo
Honbo's motto is 'Real Good Burger', and that's exactly what founder Michael Chan has been feeding his native Hong Kong since opening in March 2017. With Double Gold American beef imported from Wisconsin topped with Hong Kong local ingredients, it's easy to see why Honbo has become a beloved local favourite in such a short time.
- Honbo, (various locations), Wan Chai, Sun St, New Sun House, G/F, +852 2567 8970
Best Char Siu: Mott 32
Your saunter down, down, down to Mott 32 is a path paved with delicious anticipation. It might be the pre-ordered applewood-roasted Peking duck you’re salivating for. Or, the Barbecue Puma Iberico Pork, succulent, smothered and shiny with a signature Yellow Mountain honey glaze over top. Trust — you’ll want seconds.
- Mott 32, Standard Chartered Bank Building, 4-4A Des Voeux Rd Central, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2885 8688
Best Noodle: TamJai SamGor
There is the humdrum mixian noodle, then there's TamJai SamGor. Holding court in their new-this-year LKF location (amongst many, many others), this is where homey, comforting bowls of slurpy noodles can be personalised to perfection. Don't sleep on the thin-sliced pork belly smothered with mashed garlic, too.
- TamJai SamGor, (various locations), G/F, Hong Kong House, 15D-19 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2712 9738
Best Fried Chicken: Honky Tonks Tavern
From the creators of another fan favourite, Shady Acres, comes Honky Tonks — probably the only dive bar with a weekly oyster special. Chef Andy mast is a magician when it comes to frying up a good bird, from a Harlem-style chicken and waffles plate to the tenderest tenders in town.
- Honky Tonks Tavern, Man Hing Ln, Central, Hong Kong
Best Fish Ball: Kong Chai Kee
As fellow fishball heads will tell you: Kong Chai Kee's homemade creations are not-to-be-missed. Not if you call yourself a true fan! If not from a visit from their brick-and-mortar location in Causeway Bay, take a baggie to go for your very own serve at home. Just follow the quintessential steps to preparing these authentic Chiu Chow recipes: a simple blanch in boiling water.
- Kong Chai Kee, G/F, 2 Canal Road East, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, +852 2893 5617
Best Pastry: Bakehouse
You'd recognise Bakehouse for the cobalt blue paper bags with orange handles that are toted around the Soho slopes, but you'd love Bakehouse for its signature sourdough egg tarts, ingeniously ideated by renowned pastry chef and baker Gregoire Michaud. Make a stop for the doughnuts, too. It’ll be worth it.
- Bakehouse, (various locations), 14 Tai Wong St E, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Best Cantonese Dessert: Dragon-i
Decadent desserts may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Dragon-i, Wyndham's long-time nightlife destination, but it's also a favourite for foodies, who mean it when they recommend the delicious dim sum, and a sago that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
- Dragon-i, The Centrium, 60 Wyndham St, Central, Hong Kong, +852 3110 1222
Best Dumpling: Megan's Kitchen
Conveniently located in the heart of Wan Chai, Megan's Kitchen is famed for their homemade hot pot soup bases. And what else makes a good hot pot? Dumplings. Their signature platter is a must-have, while other a la carte options include cheese and beef tongue dumplings, peking duck dumplings, and the classic chives and pork — all equally delicious.
- Megan's Kitchen, 5/F Lucky Centre, HK Hong Kong Island, 165-171 Wan Chai Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong, +852 2866 8305
Best Congee: Ser Wong Fun
Currently run by the fourth generation of the Ser Wong Fun family, this practically-historical restaurant is famed for their warming, double-boiled soups, snake dishes, classic Cantonese fare and, of course, congee.
- Ser Wong Fun, (various locations), F HK Hong Kong Island G, 30 Cochrane St, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2543 1032
Best Peking Duck: Forbidden Duck
Most prominently known as the second venue ideated by celebrity chef Alvin Leung (Bo Innovation being his first), self-proclaimed as the “Demon Chef”, Forbidden Duck renews classic Cantonese recipes and is beloved for, of course, their unique rendition on the gamey bird. The Peking Duck is a popular speciality, made with a specific Beijing breed roasted in a special Australian-made brick oven.
- Forbidden Duck, Times Square, 1001b, 1 Matheson St, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, +852 2882 8600