Wedding season is just around the corner, and we consider it perfect timing to have stumbled across an eye palette that’s tailor-made for every bride-to-be’s vanity trousseau. The brainchild of Hong Kong-based makeup artist Jenny Daswani, the Havan Eyeshadow Palette (or The Golden Hour Eyeshadow Palette by Jenny D), has 15 colours with hues and names inspired by the ingredients placed in a sacred fire ritual.
Meet the artist
Daswani traces her roots to India – her parents belong to Pune and childhood meant celebrating Indian festivals, visiting temples, and witnessing the splendour of elaborate Indian weddings. “I was fascinated by the colours and textures of ingredients associated with havan that was a constant feature of all Hindu ceremonies. I liked the feeling of being all dolled up. I loved how creative makeup was and how you could use the products to enhance what you already have. I wanted to create something to symbolise that and also that would reflect me and my culture.”
What is the USP of this palette?
Being a makeup artist who travelled extensively for editorial, bridal, and fashion assignments, Daswani felt it was quite a drag to carry around so many palettes so she wanted to create her own. “A lot of my clients also had the same issue when they travelled. I hadn’t come across an eyeshadow palette which was versatile – one product that could work for everyone and for all occasions. It was the one thought that motivated me to create my own palette that could complement all ages, skin tones, skin types, and genders.”
What’s in the palette?
So what you have are seven pigmented matte shades and eight pigmented metallic shades that can be used wet or dry. Think ‘Camphor’, ‘Chandan’, ‘Raheda’, ‘Tilak’, ‘Kesar’, ‘Mauli’… you get the drift. There are no eccentric blues, greens, and yellows, but all the shades that you could actually wear anytime and anywhere, whether you have a warm or cool undertone. From ash silver to rose gold, burgundy to browns, pinks to lavender, there are all the shades you would need to create stunning eyes in natural shades. The colours are especially flattering for the darker-toned irises that most Indians have.
“You can also use the shades for bronzer, blush, and highlighter, allowing it to become a 4-in-1 product. I personally recommend ‘Chandan’ as bronzer; ‘Halwa’ and ‘Kesar’ as blush; and ‘Camphor’ and ‘Gur’ to highlight.” The bottom row are the shades she suggests to use if you want to create a smokey eye.
Another reason why this palette is for keeps?
“I have very sensitive skin so it was very important for me to also create something that wouldn’t be harsh but still be pigmented and easy to blend,” explains Daswani why she has avoided harsh chemicals such as carbon black. This really sits well on Indian eyelids which are often discoloured and pigmented due to our exposure to sun and genetic disposition.
Jenny D’s five easy prep tricks for eyes
1. Ensure you have a ‘blank canvas’ for your eyes. This not only helps the colour show better but if there is any pigmentation on our lids, it helps to even out the tone and makes both eyes identical.
To do this take some concealer or foundation (either a shade lighter or your skintone shade) and buff it into your eyelid. Ensure to set this with some skin-colour/translucent powder to prevent creasing.
2. To create more depth and definition in the eye, take a matte brown/bronze shade and apply it in the crease of your eye with a fluffy brush, sweeping it back and forth.
3. To create a soft smoke/smokey eye, take a smaller dense brush with a darker shade and apply it on the outer edge of your eyelid. Apply this shade on your lash line too to create a sultrier look.
4. With a small flat brush and a brighter colour/shimmer eyeshadow apply it on the rest 2/3rds of the lid (this will also make your eyes look bigger) – make sure you don’t go up into your crease and just stick to your lid!
5. To make your eyes pop use a highlighter in the inner corner of the eye and beneath your brow bone.
Havan retails at HK$380 and can be purchased here (free shipping in Hong Kong and international shipping available).
All images: Courtesy brand