The beauty industry is booming in India. From homegrown brands creating enviable formulas to international labels making a beeline for India, there’s a lot for Indians to try. This week, we are witnessing yet another brand launch. Dr Barbara Sturm makes its way into the country, thanks to Nykaa’s new Global Store that brings in reputed, high-performance labels into the country.
You must have heard of Dr Barbara Sturm. She’s known for the popular skincare treatment The Vampire Facial, which went viral via Kim Kardashian’s Instagram. Debates followed, the world was curious, and the good doctor, Barbara Sturm, instantly became a worldwide success story. The treatment is her USP, the radical “blood plasma facial” and a new-age bespoke cream soon followed that was even more radical.
Named MC1, it’s a mix of the client’s own white blood cells and proteins made into a moisturiser that treats, revives, and gives you a glow like no other. It’s a moisturiser that has got a waitlist and is only available personally on prescription. With Sturm, you know it’s clinical research alongside innovative high-performance-based skincare.
Her skincare line is created with high concentration active ingredients. Her path is all about skin-healing and reducing inflammation. The ultimate goal is to strengthen and rejuvenate the skin at the cellular level while giving it an antioxidant boost. Which is is why her range is power-packed, bursting with natural ingredients like purslane, rice starch, tea tree oil, and aloe vera, to name a few.
Working out of her Düsseldorf clinic, Sturm has made a name for herself with celebrity clients like Kim Kardashian, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Emily Ratajkowski, Emma Roberts and Kate Moss, among others. Her skin-changing, game-changing Molecular Cosmetics launched in 2014 are now making their way to India through The Global Store on Nykaa‘s app. And her supercharged serums and one-of-a-kind innovations are available from today. These luxe serums and creams are cruelty- and paraben-free and come in stunning minimalist glass bottles; it’s all cutting edge ingredient science.
Here are a few lessons we learnt from the celebrity dermatologist via a Zoom call on Indian skin, hyperpigmentation, acne, plant-based diets, and layering serums.
• The big goal for your skin is to reduce inflammation. It’s the main cause of all skin problems. So your skincare regime must tackle inflammation and work towards that.
• Apart from inflammation, one should avoid products that have artificial fragrances and colour, microplastics, and ingredients that cause skin irritation. Healing the skin is primary.
• Aggressive acids and skincare ingredients like retinol damage the skin and cause inflammation; it’s best to look at soothing ingredients that are hydrating and nourishing. Retinol destroys the skin’s microbiome.
• Washing your face with hot water or using aggressive ingredients and fragrances can compromise your microbiome; it’s the one thing you should protect.
• Always reach out for anti-inflammatory products when you are creating a skincare routine.
• Hyaluronic Acid is the white t-shirt of your skin’s wardrobe; skincare must be all about hydration. Your skin should be plump and hydrated like grapes, not like dehydrated raisins.
• Strengthening the skin’s barrier is important. Fighting inflammation and healing the skin is important.
• Skincare is all about health from the inside out. So processed food, sugar and fried food are out. Drink two litres of water every day, get eight hours of sleep, eat locally sourced, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
• Despite the fact that Sturm has a range of products, she usually has a minimal skincare routine. She carries a moisturiser or sunscreen. Simplify your routine, layer the essentials, and you should be good.
• Anti-inflammation is anti-ageing. As long as your nutrition and hydration goals are met, your skin should not need any other anti-ageing treatments. Focus on skin health, healing, safe ingredients, and nurturing the skin.
Top 5 products you should pick up from the Dr Barbara Sturm roster:
Enzyme Cleanser, Rs 6,730
A cleaning foam and exfoliator, this one’s as versatile as they come. It’s a powder cleanser that helps remove dead skin cells and gives your skin that smoothness.
Glow Drops, Rs 5,050
The iconic serum contains Wild Rose extracts and Purslane, which gives you a plumped-up effect.
Sun Drops, Rs 5,050
Light textured SPF 50 sun serum gives you protection against both UVA and UVB rays and helps with irritated skin and inflammation.
The Good C Vitamin C Serum, Rs 14,030
Contains Vitamin C in three forms and helps even out skin and give you a radiance like no other. Gives you firm, youthful, glowing skin in minutes.
Darker Skin tones Hyaluronic Serum
Great for hyperpigmentation and contains Dr Sturm’s proprietary blend of Hyaluronic Acid and Lumicol.
Dr Barbara Sturm Molecular Cosmetics will be available on the Global Store on the Nykaa Mobile App from June 8, 2021, onwards.