At a time when interior design is going through a palate-cleansing phase with subdued colourways, easy prints, and everything minimal, Krsna Mehta is sticking to his signature. Striking hues, art-inspired prints, and quirky furniture and accessories sums up his brand ethos. Where a number of interior designers are opting for a more pared down approach to design, Mehta sees everything through a kaleidoscope of colours and patterns. Rani pink, turquoise, canary yellows and tones of orange – it a unique milieu of colours that come together in spaces done by Mehta.
Given that his family owned a textile business, Mehta’s learnings began early. He honed his design skills at Zeba, an upmarket interiors store owned by his parents in Lower Parel, Mumbai, and between 1998 and 2000, studied Surface Design at Parsons, and Display Graphics from Fashion Institute of Technology, New York. Upon returning to Mumbai, he joined his family’s interior store and revamped it. Over the years ,Mehta has collaborated with Good Earth, Godrej, The Elephant Company, and Celio to name a few, and also extended his expertise to names in hospitality such as the Taj Group and Marriott group of hotels. In 2012, he launched his own lifestyle brand, Indian Circus, and today stands true to its ethos of ‘Taking Indian Contemporary to the World’.
With summers in full swing and the time right to play with colours in interiors, we asked Mehta to give us a few tips on how to indulge in colourways to make the living space look vibrant and inviting in this searing heat.
1. Choosing an appropriate colour scheme is a key consideration when developing anything. The right colours have the unique ability to instantly transform the entire personality of a room. It is a reason why designers put so much thought in choosing the right colour scheme. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be challenging to pinpoint the perfect hue, but when you nail the ideal palette, the results transmogrify.
2. A great piece of wall art will bring a story and so much character to the room – design your space around your wall art theme and see your paintings come alive.
3. Nothing keeps a home cooler than plants around your home. Beating the heat will be really easy if you add some indoor and outdoor plants to your living space to give it a refreshing touch. If you’re looking at giving your home a nautical look for summer, then go for the deep navy blue hues along with weathered wood accessories.
4. Paint smaller rooms in softer, lighter colours to help make the room feel larger and spacious than it otherwise would. Use a patterned wallpaper to strengthen a room, and simple tones to soften a space. Heavy designed wallpaper can enliven a space and set a new decorative direction. Be sure other design elements play down to the wallpaper.
5. The most important consideration in buying rugs, carpets, and doormats is finding something that has a beating heart and is going to give you a soothing notion every time you look at it. To make a room feel larger, use a round rug on the floor. The circle represents infinity, and a round rug brings that esoteric idea of ‘no boundaries’ into reality as a visual element.
6. Then there’s accessories. When it comes to cushions, the easiest way to use them is to fluff them up on your sofa to make a grand statement. Mix new with old, so a blend of antique pieces like a grisaille screen, unique bedside tables and lamps and a knobby chair softens a modern look. Coordination of lamp shades, simple curtains, and an old briefcase as a storage keeps a lid on the eccentricity.