The latest entrant in the ‘IT’ girls club of international fashion is Korean-Japanese-American model Kiko Mizuhara.
Even though she has been in the business since she was 12, and is a well-known name in Japan, Mizuhara piqued global attention after appearing along side, the Fab 5 — Tan France, Antoni Porowski, Karamo Brown, Bobby Berk and Jonathan Van Ness for the Japanese chapter of Netflix’s Queer Eye. From being called as ‘The most famous woman in Japan’ by the American lifestyle website, The Cut to being rumoured as singer Harry Styles girlfriend, Mizuhara is making head’s turn for all the right reasons.
Here is everything you need to know about her.
1. She began her modelling career in 2003 with a Japanese fashion magazine Seventeen after winning a modelling contest and then became an exclusive model for fashion magazine Vivi.
2. Soon, the international gigs followed. In 2014, she was invited by Jeremy Scott to walk for his debut Moschino collection at Milan Fashion Week. This was followed by other shows such as Nicola Formichetti’s collection for Diesel and Alexander Wang.
3. Kiko Mizuhara extended her love for fashion by launching her own label Project OK in 2017. The label owing to a range of cool, casualwear pieces (lace and latex dresses) gained instant fame. Besides this she also collaborated with the label Opening Ceremony a number of times with her pieces being worn by the likes of Rihanna and Beyonce.
4. Mizuhara was a favourite of the late Karl Lagerfeld. He did not only shot her CHANEL’s The Little Black Jacket campaign, appointed her as an ambassador for the iconic brand but in also ensured that Mizuhara walked for his Metiers d’Art Show in Dallas, Texas.
5. In 2018, Mizuhara became Dior beauty’s first ever Asian ambassador. Besides this she has collaborated and appeared in numerous campaigns for labels such as Marc Jacobs, Coach, Phillip Lim and Vivienne Tam to name a few.
6. Besides being a fashion fixture, Mizuhara has also had her experience as an actress. In 2010, she shared screen with Oscar nominated actress Rikno Kikuchi in the film, ‘Norwegian Wood’. She was also a part of Japanese romantic comedy ‘Kōdai-ke no Hitobito’ and the Japanese remake of American drama ‘The Good Wife’. Her latest small screen project was ‘Queer Eye: We’re in Japan’!