The pandemic shouldn’t stop you from celebrating Mother’s Day.
Just in case you need a gentle reminder; Mother’s Day is happening on the 9th of May. You can always go through the usual route of bringing your mother out for dinner. However, as we’re hit with yet another wave of cases, it’s best to stay at home as often as we can. Arranging delivery services for cakes, flowers and gifts have become a new norm — the options are endless. This would be a great solution to those that are living abroad or in different states.
For those that are staying under the same roof, do something different this year. How about something Italian? In Italy, Mother’s Day is called Festa della Mamma — a day that the Italians would celebrate their mothers in the most simple and fulfilling way — through food. It could start of with a unique breakfast-in-bed, followed by a luncheon that’s either arranged in a restaurant or prepared by the whole family (except herself, of course). On Mother’s Day, she is not allowed to do anything but to relax and feast!
We can do the exact same thing here in Malaysia. Cook up an Italian feast for your mom this Mother’s Day — think pasta, pizza, risotto, carpaccio and so much more. But what’s the most important component to enjoy right after all of these yummy delicacies? Dessert, of course. And the most popular Italian dessert known to everyone across the world is tiramisu. Originated from Treviso, a small town near Venice, it is made out of Savoiardi ladyfingers soaked in coffee, arranged in layers and filled with a cream made with mascarpone and eggs. In other words, a dessert that could be made by anyone, including yourself.
Here’s the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 ounces coffee
- 3.5 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces sweet wine (such as Madeira)
- 4 egg yolks
- 16 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 13 ounces whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 10 ounces Savoiardi ladyfingers (about 40 pieces)
For the Coffee Dip
- Prepare 12 ounces of strong espresso coffee and pour sugar into it while still hot.
- Let it cool at room temperature.
For the Zabaione filling
- Beat the egg yolks in a heat-proof bowl or in the bowl of a double boiler until they become fluffy.
- Add the wine and sugar and beat well.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water on the stove and heat. Remove from heat before it boils, as the mixture will develop a heavy consistency before reaching the boiling point.
- In a different bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese. Add the whipped cream and mix it well.
- Add the mascarpone mixture to the rest of the filling and mix until it has a smooth consistency.
Layering the cake
- Dip half of the ladyfingers in the coffee and place them in a single layer in a 9-inch square baking dish (or similarly sized container).
- Spread half of the Zabaione cream on top of them.
- Repeat the ladyfingers dipping and layering process, then add the remaining Zabaione cream.
- Sprinkle cocoa on top and place the dish in the fridge. Depending on when you started, you can leave it there for 4-5 hours or overnight.
Next up, ingredients. An Italian dessert such as this deserves nothing but the best. Authentic Italian ingredients can be purchased at any supermarkets or hypermarkets near you — but now that MCO has been implemented once again, it’s best to stay at home and avoid crowded places. Get your authentic Italian ingredients delivered straight to your doorstep with HappyFresh. HappyFresh is a website that offers grocery-shopping solutions. The website recently collaborated with the Italian Trade Agency to promote authentic Italian products via an e-commerce platform and to allow better access for the purchase of Italian products beyond physical stores.
On the website, alongside other notable brands and ingredients, you are able to shop for ‘Made In Italy’ products. Just pick your favourite supermarket, hypermarket or even specialty store from the long list of offerings. As soon as you submit your order, your HappyFresh personal shopper heads out and search for the freshest groceries he or she can find. You’ll have your grocery list checked out and delivered straight to you sooner than you think.
‘Eat Healthy, Taste Italy’ is the concept of the collaboration between two brands. The aim is to raise greater awareness of authentic Italian foods and genuine Italian foodways; especially to those that are interested in the Mediterranean diet. More information on the campaign here.